Apply for the ongoing United Nations University Job Recruitment 2022 via our latest job vacancies & employment portal. This United Nations University job opening is available to all qualified candidates.
About The Company:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. UNU’s mission is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
>>Click here to SEE PART-TIME & FULL-TIME JOBS
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Experience: Early Career
For the past four decades, United Nations University (UNU) has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is one of 14 research and training Institutes that comprise the think tanks in the UNU system.
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today, it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as freely available original research. More information on UNU-WIDER and its current work programme are available at www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is implementing a large research, capacity development, and policy engagement programme in South Africa, called Southern African – Towards Inclusive Economic Development (SA-TIED) in close collaboration with the National Treasury of South Africa. Building on the successful first phase of this programme, phase II of SA-TIED will continue to bring together world class researchers with policymakers to combat socio-economic challenges in South Africa but also in the broader southern African region. A big focus of SA‐TIED relates to its engagements with the policy‐making community as a partner. A key aspect of the programme is to generate robust empirical evidence and use it as a basis to encourage networking and discussion amongst people involved in policy processes across the participating organisations and civil society to bridge the gap between research and policy‐making. For more information on SA-TIED, please visit https://sa-tied.wider.unu.edu/.
Also see: UNDP – United Nations Development Programme Job Recruitment -South Africa
Based at the premises of the National Treasury of South Africa in Pretoria, South Africa, the Associate Programme Officer supports the overall management of UNU-WIDER’s SA-TIED programme implemented in partnership with the National Treasury by coordinating among the programme partners, monitoring programme implementation, leading on the production of programme plans and reports, and taking a key role in internal communications across the entire SA-TIED programme structure.
The Associate Programme Officer’s responsibilities include the following:
1. Coordinates activities related to planning, monitoring, and reporting of the SA-TIED programme
- Drafts work plans, annual budgets, and other planning documents in consultation with the SA-TIED programme leadership
- Operationalizes SA-TIED programme documents by elaborating, in close collaboration with the SA-TIED partners and stakeholders, annual work plans and regularly monitors their implementation, including proposing necessary adjustments upon need
- Contributes substantively to budget planning and coordinates financial monitoring and financial reporting activities
- Works with key SA-TIED programme stakeholders, ranging from senior researchers and policy-makers, to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of specific projects under the SA-TIED programme
- Monitors and reports on implementation of the SA-TIED results framework; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; identifies and tracks follow-up actions
- Reports on various aspects of the programme implementation to key stakeholders such as the programme donors, United Nations University, the SA-TIED Steering Group, or the SA-TIED Advisory Group, including by collecting, analysing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources
- Serves as the Secretary to the different SA-TIED governance bodies, such as the steering group and the advisory group
- Coordinates internal communications across the entire SA-TIED programme structure, both between the different governance bodies and the programme partners, as well as internally with the UNU-WIDER personnel working on SA-TIED in South Africa and the UNU-WIDER units and teams involved in programme delivery
2. Provides substantive support to and takes the lead on operations for the SA-TIED programme in accordance with the programme documents and related agreements, UN and UNU rules and regulations, and best project management practices
- Leads on coordinating operations support for SA-TIED and liaises with UN partners in South Africa on administrative, financial, and logistical aspects of the programme
- Actively contributes to achieving the programme targets by designing and implementing joint initiatives and leading the logistics of programme activities; provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposing participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Leads on logistics for SA-TIED events and acts as Requisitioner (requester) for all procurement and consultancy contracts administered by UNU-WIDER in South Africa
- Ensures that UNU-WIDER operates in accordance with the established UN/UNU operating procedures and guidelines in South Africa
- Represents UNU-WIDER in relevant UN meetings and briefings in Pretoria
3. Provides substantive support to UNU-WIDER’s strategic partnerships and donor relations for SA-TIED and in South Africa
- Coordinates and provides substantive input to narrative and financial reporting to programme stakeholders, including donors, Steering Groups, and Programme Management Teams, and coordinates relevant meetings with these stakeholders
- Liaises with the immediate institutional programme partners in SA-TIED on a range of administrative and strategic issues as well as with a variety of key stakeholders in South Africa, including ministries and development partners, and actively supports mobilizing funding for SA-TIED
4. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
Key performance indicators
- Timely elaboration and implementation of quality programme documents (such as work plans), results frameworks, plans and reports
- Quality and level of engagement with UNU-WIDER’s institutional partners in South Africa
- Regular monitoring of programme implementation (programmatic and operational aspects) and timely suggestions for any corrective actions needed
- Quality contribution to increased knowledge and reputation of UNU-WIDER and the SA-TIED programme in South Africa among key stakeholders (SA-TIED partner institutions, donors, UN System in South Africa, civil Society)
Also see: Institute for Security Studies (ISS) Job Recruitment – South Africa
- Inclusion — take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and collaborate — build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and plan — seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver results with positive impact — hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and develop — pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and innovate — demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
Also see: FHI 360 Job Recruitment– South Africa
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Management, Economics, Social Sciences, or a related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management, administration or related area.
- Working experience (both programmatic and operational) in planning, monitoring, and implementation of complex, multi-stakeholder programmes, desirably in the nexus of research and policy.
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships with government entities, development partners, and/or civil society organizations.
- Experience with the United Nations system, similar international organization, or large public institutions and with relevant policies, guidelines and procedures is required.
- Excellent drafting and budgeting skills.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be employed under an national PSA contract. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including an annual gross salary of ZAR 893,980, commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Pinterest using the buttons below. Thank you
Good morning sir or Mar,i really need this job please
I wish you will inform when it’s ready