African Union Recruitment portal is now open for interested candidates. This African Union job vacancy is open to all qualified candidates.
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena. Join African Union careers team today, and be part of our success story.
Job Title: Technical Officer, Preparedness & Response
Requisition ID: 847
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Head of Division,Preparedness and Response
Directorate / Department: Africa CDC
Division: Preparedness and Response
AU Organ: African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job for African Union Recruitment
- The Technical Officer supports the implementation of public health pandemic preparedness and response, as well as surveillance and epidemiologic activities, workforce development, strengthening of information systems, laboratory networks, and other related health systems strengthening activities.
- Working in close collaboration with technical staff in the Africa CDC Secretariat, other Divisions, and other Regional Collaborating Centres (RCC), the Officer coordinates and provides technical oversight and guidance applied to specific technical policies and programmes at national and regional levels to regional integrated surveillance and laboratory networks (RISLNET), National Public Health Institutes (NPHI) and other implementing partners.
- This body of work includes incident management, emergency preparedness and response, epidemiology and surveillance monitoring and reporting, health information systems, and epidemiologic and surveillance linkages to laboratory networks, public health research, workforce development, and other related health systems strengthening activities, all in alignment with Africa CDC’s vision and strategic plan
Main Functions for African Union Recruitment
- Assist in the following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit/Division.
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
Specific Responsibilities for African Union Recruitment
- Support the development of pandemic preparedness plan for Member States (MS)
- Develop and recommend on frameworks for multisectoral regional pandemic preparedness and response
- Assist in simulation exercise on emergency preparedness jointly with MS and other partners including WHO
- Support MS in responding to disease outbreak and other PH Emergencies
- Assist in efforts to build pandemic preparedness response capacity of MS.
- Perform online directory management of AVoHC (African Volunteer Health Corps) database and deployment of ERTs (Emergency Response Teams)
- Review training needs assessments of the AVoHC/ERT in MS.
- Organize and conduct (AVoHC/ERT) capacity building in MS
- Develop operational guidelines (SOPs/TORs) that will guide effective implementation of the division work plan
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Supervisor
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience for African Union Recruitment
- Bachelor Degree in Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience in related fields.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least two (2) years of relevant professional experience.
- Work experience should be in a team management support role with demonstrated involvement in the successful development and management of emergency preparedness and response programs,
- Experience in supporting implementation of public health programs related activities.
- Experience working with an international organization is a valuable asset.
- Previous experience working in Africa that reflects an in-depth knowledge of public health issues and public health workforce in general.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of operations of the Africa CDC and Regional Collaborating Centres.
- Understanding of the African Union’s way of working and managing associated relationships with Member States and partners is a valuable asset.
- Experience with engagement and interaction with senior-level officials and other key stakeholders in both public and private-sector organizations.
Also see: KPMG Nigeria Recruitment (8 Positions)
Required Skills for African Union Recruitment:
- Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Proven ability to produce precise and intelligible reports and office briefs in line with the requirements of the African Union.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details.
- Able to operate in a multicultural environment.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit. Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and personal qualities of integrity and credibility.
- Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible.
- Pro-active and solutions oriented.
- Knowledge of results-based management
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
Leadership Competencies for African Union Recruitment:
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
Core Competencies for African Union Recruitment:
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
Functional Competencies for African Union Recruitment:
- Analytical thinking and problem solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement focus
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Remuneration for African Union Recruitment
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date for African Union Recruitment
3rd December, 2021.
Method of Application for African Union Recruitment
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.