African Union (AU) recruitment & employment portal 2022 is now open for interested candidates. This African Union (AU) job vacancy is open to all qualified candidates.
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena. Join African Union careers team today, and be part of our success story.
Job Title: Principal Officer, Research and Capacity Building
Requisition ID: 1082
Location: Khartoum, Sudan
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Directorate / Department: Continental Operational Centre
Division: Office of the Deputy Executive Director, Research and Capacity Building Unit
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The Principal Policy Officer (Research & Capacity Building) identifies and coordinates research on transnational border crime (its causes, nature, magnitude, trends and threats to security), and coordinates the training/capacity building of Member States in the area of transnational border crime and border management.
The Principal Policy Officer (Research & Capacity Building) will perform the following duties:
- Provides overall leadership to the research and capacity building functions of the Centre.
- Coordinates the development of strategic plans of the Research & Capacity Building Unit in line with the Centre’s strategic goals, objectives and priorities.
- Presents and defends resource requirements needed to carry out the annual work-plans of the Research & Capacity Building Unit.
- Coordinates the development of technical proposals on research and the capacity building in accordance with the Centre’s strategic priorities.
- Assists management in mobilizing resources for the research and capacity building activities of the Centre.
- Monitors performance and prepares progress reports on the research and capacity building activities of the Centre.
- Coordinates the monitoring and evaluation of programmes under the Research & Capacity Building Unit.
- Compiles briefing notes, strategy documents, regular regional/continental reports on migration, white papers and contributes to continental journals on migration.
- Represents the Centre at relevant regional/continental/international seminars and conferences.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director.
Also see: Dangote Group Massive Job Recruitment (27 Positions) – Nigeria
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Security Studies, Migration Studies, Political / Social science, or other related disciplines, with a total of ten (10) years relevant work experience.
- Bachelor Degree in similar fields of study with twelve (12) years of relevant work experience
- Six (6) and three (3) years out of total experience need to be at managerial and supervisory levels.
- Relevant work experience needs to be continuous and combined, and in the following areas:
- Conducting research and training in the area of migration and security and/or related issues.
- Implementing large-scale migration programmes, with emphasis on project development, strategic planning, research, training/capacity building and monitoring and evaluation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of research and training.
- A deep understanding of the African migration and security landscape.
- Proven experience interacting with international and regional public partner agencies.
- Proven track-record of working and liaising with high-level government and donor officials.
- Demonstrable experience in supervising and leading teams of consultants, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Demonstrable experience in drafting technical documents for executive level consumption and/or peer review.
- An understanding of the African Union way of working and managing associated relationships with Member States/RECs and partners is preferred.
- Technical expertise and experience in supporting and managing complex programmes with special emphasis on social research and training/capacity building.
- Excellent analytical skills to respond to trends in emerging migration and security issues, and to develop, apply and adjust programme strategies and policies to further the Centre’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Excellent skills to conceptualize, plan, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate programmes.
- Excellent ability to liaise diplomatically, very good representational, inter-personal skills, including experience in interacting with stakeholders and decision-makers in order to build strong collaborative relationships with governments and partners.
- Mastery of migration and security issues on the continent.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, in particular proven ability to write clear and concise reports;
- Excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
- Excellent project planning and management skills for organizing, planning and executing projects from conception through implementation.
- Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent word-processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Ability to operate in a multicultural environment.
- An excellent command of at least one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French Portuguese or Spanish). Knowledge of any of the other four will be an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Result
- Continuous improvement orientation.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,819.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
9th May, 2022.
Also see: Stanbic IBTC Bank Job Recruitment (12 Positions) – Nigeria
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online.