African Union Recruitment portal is now open for interested candidates. This African Union job vacancy is open to all qualified candidates.
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena. Join African Union careers team today, and be part of our success story.
Job Title: Legal Officer – Special Mechanisms
Requisition ID: 851
Location: Banjul, Gambia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Senior Legal Officer – Special Mechanism
AU Organ: African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job for African Union Recruitment
- Provides technical legal support for special mechanisms in line with the execution of the Commission’s Strategic Plan.
Main Functions for African Union Recruitment
- Contributes to the development of policies and strategies
- Coordinates the implementation of programmes and plans of the special mechanism under the ACHPR
- Liaise with stakeholders including the Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), etc on relevant matters.
- Provides support in the development of special mechanisms Strategies in line with the approved Strategic Plan
- Prepares the annual work plans for the Unit
- Undertakes monitoring activities and delivers periodic reports on time
- Liaises with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Provides technical support for the development of resource mobilization
- Conducts analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner for the ACHPR’s internal use
- Assists in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area
- Is responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas
- Participates in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Drafts reports and participates in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the Unit
- Provides technical support to internal and external stakeholders
Specific Responsibilities for African Union Recruitment
Working under the Senior Legal Officer Special Mechanisms provides support in the following areas:
- Provides support to the Special Rapporteurs and the Working Groups in discharging their responsibilities, and follow-up on recommendations
- Drafts urgent Appeals, Advisory notes, Guidelines, Information notes, Position/Conference/Meeting papers for the Commissioners
- Provides technical backstopping to Special Mechanisms through research and documentation
- Provides interface with, and logistical support for interaction with the Member States, Regional Economic Communities, organs of the AU and other stakeholders
- Formulates principles and rules aimed at solving human rights issues arising in the thematic areas covered by the various Special Mechanisms
- Manages requests by member states for information and support
- Contributes to legal or policy analyses and publications
- Promotes the integration of legal work across the regional programs and particularly in the regional offices
- Develops and implements capacity building and training programs
- Contributes to standard-setting, through participating in meetings, drafting work and promoting international standards
- Participates in the organization of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders
- Performs any other relevant duties as may be directed or required.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience for African Union Recruitment
- Must hold Master’s Degree in Law from an accredited university with a minimum of two (2) years’ work experience
- Must hold Bachelor’s Degree in Law from an accredited university with a minimum of five (5) years’ work experience
- Fluency in Arabic Language is the requirement.
Required Skills for African Union Recruitment:
- Communication ability both orally and in writing in Arabic
- Analytical skills
- Ability to work across business units/geographies; cultural sensitive environment
- Proficiency in other AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese) will be an added advantage
Leadership Competencies for African Union Recruitment:
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
Core Competencies for African Union Recruitment:
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Effective Communication
Functional Competencies for African Union Recruitment:
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous improvement focus
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Remuneration for African Union Recruitment
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (30% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 15,897.60 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date for African Union Recruitment
29th November, 2021.
Method of Application for African Union Recruitment
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.