Apply for the ongoing International Development Research Centre (IDRC) Job Recruitment 2022 via our latest job vacancies & employment portal. This International Development Research Centre (IDRC) job opening is available to all qualified candidates.
IDRC is governed by a board of up to 14 governors, whose chairperson reports to Parliament through the Minister of International Development.
IDRC was established by an Act of Canada’s Parliament in 1970 with a mandate “to initiate, encourage, support, and conduct research into the problems of the developing regions of the world and into the means for applying and adapting scientific, technical, and other knowledge to the economic and social advancement of those regions.”
Job Title: Program Officer – Climate Adaptation and Resilience
Sector: Non Profit
Experience: Early Career / Mid Career
Are you passionate about the environment? Do you want to advance research to build resilience to climate change and natural hazards for people across the Global South? If yes, we have exciting opportunities for you to address key research areas with the CLARE initiative!
The Climate Adaptation and Resilience (CLARE) Initiative is an initiative supporting research to enable inclusive and sustainable action to build resilience to climate change and natural hazards across Africa and Asia-Pacific. CLARE seeks to accelerate delivery of cutting-edge science, knowledge, data and tools focused on tackling climate change adaptation and resilience problems facing the poorest and most vulnerable people. It aims to maximize uptake of existing knowledge by policymakers and practitioners, drive new knowledge and enable capacity needed for climate-resilient development, and support inclusive, practical action and overcome barriers to adaptation. It supports research projects that improve the understanding of the risks associated with climate, early action to reduce impacts of climate variability, and inform development in a changing climate.
Also see: Oceana Job Recruitment – Canada
The CLARE team will include a Program Officer located in Ottawa with the following profile:
Program Officer – Capacity: “Strengthening Capacity” – CLARE projects will have a strong focus strengthening capacity from research to action for sustainable climate-resilient development.
- Do you have expertise in designing, leading, or evaluating efforts to strengthen the capacity of individuals, communities or organizations engaged in advancing, sharing and applying knowledge from scientific research towards inclusive climate-resilient development?
- Do you have knowledge of key actors and opportunities dedicated to strengthening research and informed climate action across Africa and Asia (including understanding capacity building under UNFCCC Paris Agreement and how to contribute to IPCC assessments)?
- Do you have experience working in Africa and Asia-Pacific, including lower income economies?
Here’s an insight into your day-to-day activities:
As a Program Officer – Capacity in the CLARE team you will focus your expertise to lead a set of projects that invest in the capacity for climate adaptation and resilience. Specific elements include:
- Managing the process for selecting projects and nurturing them as a cohort that offers training, awards, exchanges, and more;
- Supporting the overall portfolio by offering services in capacity building and by facilitating a collaborative working group or community of practice within CLARE;
- Collaborating and/or leading other CLARE projects under the three themes by working closely with the SPS positions;
- Being our thought and practice leader on ‘capacity strengthening’ as one of the four core approaches under CLARE;
- Participating as an integral member of the CLARE team at IDRC to help reinforce the other three approaches.
- Under the supervision senior team members develops, monitors, manages, and evaluates research projects and research support projects;
- With guidance from senior team members, is responsible for a portfolio of projects;
- Liaises with program colleagues in Ottawa and the regional offices on issues of project development and management;
- Assists senior team members in identifying, developing and managing IDRC’s contacts with other international agencies and Canadian institutions;
- Contributes to Center-wide public relations efforts and to knowledge dissemination and utilization;
- Assists in preparing reports to co-funders and donors.
In addition to the specific capacity building expertise and knowledge mentioned above, the Program Officer position:
- This position requires a Master’s degree in a relevant field of studies.
- Minimum of three (3) years of recent and relevant experience in research, research management, and knowledge translation is required.
- English and French intermediate reading, writing, and speaking skills.
- Knowledge of computer systems relevant to the position.
- Value and model diversity, inclusion and equity;
- Ability to communicate effectively, in a wide variety of cultural settings and in different fora;
- Sensitivity to the importance of gender equity and related issues;
- Ability to work as a member of multi-disciplinary teams;
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and negotiate under pressure;
- Ability to provide specialized advice and professional guidance to external contacts;
- Good analytical and writing skills with a demonstrated peer review publication record;
- Proven administrative and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to supervise research and administrative support staff; and
- Capacity for increased initiative, independent action and program level responsibility.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Pinterest using the buttons below. Thank you