African Union Recruitment portal is now open for interested candidates. This African Union job vacancy is open to all qualified candidates.
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena. Join African Union careers team today, and be part of our success story.
Job Title: Head, Sustainable Environment Division
Requisition ID: 864
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Contract Type: Regular
Division: Sustainable Environment
Job Grade: P5
Reports to: Director of Industry, Mining, and Entrepreneurship
Directorate / Department: Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Number of Indirect Reports: 12
Purpose of Job for African Union Recruitment
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Sustainable Environment Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
Main Functions for African Union Recruitment
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at Division level;
- Manages risk within the Division and recommends mitigation strategies;
- Designs and plans policy programs to achieve the strategies;
- Develops new and review activities as components of the strategies and policies;
- Addresses problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
- Represents the organisation and explains its position at conferences;
- Mobilises funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities;
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at Division level;
- Creates an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
Specific Responsibilities for African Union Recruitment
- Leads the technical development of continental policies and programmes in blue economy;
- Initiates and develops policies, strategies and programmers that contribute to the goals of the Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment consistent with AUC vision and mandates;
- Provides support for the implementation of policies, strategies and programs in terms of advocacy, coordination and guidance that contribute to effective implementation of relevant AU decision on matters related Sustainable Environment;
- Provides overall guidance and management for the human, financial and material resources of the Sustainable Environment Division;
- Liaises with other departments of the AU Commission as well as RECs, Member States and other relevant stakeholders to identify and promote synergies across initiatives and to ensure a coordinated development and implementation of such initiatives.
- Builds and strengthens strategic partnerships to harness technical and financial resources necessary for effective implementation of policies, strategies and programs on Sustainable Environment;
- Creates and strengthens various forums for stakeholders’ consultations, exchange of experiences, lessons, and capacity building; and represent the AUC in such forums.
- Prepares periodic reports on implementation of programs of the Division;
- Represents the Directorate of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in AU missions as well as in taskforces/committees and meetings on matters of Sustainable Environment;
- Provides support to the Director of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in preparing statements, proposals, reports and other relevant tasks on Sustainable Environment;
- Leads the development and implementation of Strategic initiatives and programs to contribute towards the achievement of AU/ARBE mandates, roles and strategies;
- Oversees the development of mechanisms to enhance capacity for evidence based planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Oversees strengthening capacity in terms of skills development, and streamlined/enhanced organizations, networks, and s stems;
- Oversees and strengthens partnerships with relevant development institutions and stakeholders
- Leads strategy for advocacy, and broadening support for initiatives, and resources mobilization for implementation of the programs
- Ensures effective and efficient management of human, financial and material resources at the disposal of the Division of Sustainable Environment;
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Director of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience for African Union Recruitment
- Master’s Degree in Sustainable Development, Biology, Natural Resources, Environmental Studies, Fisheries Management or related fields with 12 (twelve) years of relevant work experience working in progressively responsible positions, with 7 (seven) years of at managerial level and 5 (five) years at supervisory level.
- Experience working in a national or an international organization dealing with relevant sub-sectors under Sustainable Environment issues.
- Experience working in an international organization dealing with Environmental issues.
Required Skills for African Union Recruitment:
- Leadership and management skills
- Interpersonal and Negotiation skills
- Analytical and research skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite and AU computer systems
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge and understanding of the policies, strategies and programmes of AU
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (English, French, Arabic and Portuguese) is a must. Knowledge of one or all of the other working languages would be an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective:
- Developing Others:
- Change Management:
- Managing Risk:
- Building relationships:
- Foster Accountability Culture:
- Learning Orientation:
- Communicating with impact:
- Conceptual thinking:
- Job Knowledge and information sharing:
- Drive for result:
- Fosters Innovation:
Tenure of Appointment for African Union Recruitment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Remuneration for African Union Recruitment
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date for African Union Recruitment
24th December, 2021.
How to Apply for African Union Recruitment
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply online