World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. See more World Health Organization Job vacancies Here >>
World Health Organization Recruitment is to fill the position below:
Job Title: Geographical Information System (GIS) Specialist
Job NO.: 2304732
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 12 Months
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Objective of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Member States to manage health emergency risks and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain outbreaks and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations.
Description of Duties
The specific functions of the incumbent are:
- Provide technical support to the incident management team in developing effective tools and processes to collect, manage and combine spatial datasets.
- Conduct geospatial analysis on collected datasets; create maps, infographics, and other cartographic products on a regular and ad-hoc basis; in response to functional team leads’ technical needs.
- Standardize and clean geospatial datasets and associated attributes across incident management system specific datasets.
- Lead field data collection efforts as necessary using different data collection techniques such as mobile data collection devices and applications.
- Provide inputs in developing the tools for loading/transferring GIS data between different systems; design and maintain the structures necessary for GIS data storage.
- Manipulate presentation of geographical information by creating programs to convert GIS information from one format to another.
- Adapt tools to join together different GIS datasets and create new information or investigate patterns, e.g. estimating the number of people affected by the incident, etc.Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor
- Essential: Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Cartography, GIS, Information Management, Engineering, Geometrics, Computer or Earth Sciences from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable: Post graduate courses in GIS.
Also Apply for Airtel Nigeria Job Recruitment (2 Positions)
- At two years’ relevant experience, combined at the national and international levels in GIS management, using different GIS tools such as QGIS, other open sources, GIS software and/or ArcGIS Online.
- Experience in supporting field data collection in emergency or humanitarian context.
- Experience in emergency disaster and health outbreak response, particularly in developing countries.
- Prior humanitarian working experience at field level, with WHO/UN agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or with an international nongovernmental organization.
- Thorough knowledge of data management/ICT skill; Strong analytical skill
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Promoting innovation and organizational learning
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN 22,071,635 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Application Closing Date
9th June; 2023; 10:59:00 PM
Also Apply for Zojatech Limited Job Recruitment (5 Positions)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should :
Click here to apply online
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.