African Union (AU) recruitment & employment portal 2022 is now open for interested candidates. This African Union (AU) job vacancy is open to all qualified candidates.
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena. Join African Union careers team today, and be part of our success story.
Job Title: Executive Secretary (AOSTI)
Requisition ID: 1086
Location: AOSTI, Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Director
Division: Science, Technology and Space
Job Grade: P6
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Manages the operations, functions, and implementation of the African Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation (AOSTI), and provides strategic direction of programme development and implementation for the organization to realize its mission.
- Coordinates Division activities and ensure timely delivery of goals and objectives;
- Supervise and manage employees to ensure successful performance;
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Leads and supervise the design and plan policy programs to achieve Division strategies;
- Develops new and review activities as components of these strategies and policies;
- Represents the Organisation and explain its position at conferences;
- Mobilizes resources for execution of programmes and activities of the department;
- Manages risk and recommend mitigation strategies.
AOSTI Administration and Management:
- Oversee and take responsibility of all administrative, managerial, technical, financial, and program management of the AOSTI;
- Provide decisions and directions on budget management under the AUC’s Financial Rules of Regulation and manage the financial implications of program implementation;
- Manage all aspects of AOSTI using a team-based approach, with full responsibilities for staffing, financial and administrative matters under the purview of AOSTI and take charge on the recruitment and management of the AOSTI’s staff;
- Work to ensure that capacity is built within the AOSTI ’s staff, through mentoring staff performance and seek innovative ways of transferring skills to the AOSTIs clients;
- Direct and manage the AOSTI resources (human, finance, physical) and activities;
- Ensure that the AOSTI accounts are audited in accordance with the African Union policies and procedures;
- Manage liaisons with the Host Country in accordance with the Host Country Agreement;
- Manage, administer and further the vision, mission and objectives of the AOSTI;
Program Development and Implementation:
- Establish/implement the governance structure of the AOSTI;
- Develop and implement strategy and programmes of AOSTI;
- Manage the implementation of the AOSTI work plans as well as undertake strategic marketing of the AOSTI;
- Develop proposals and mobilise financial resources for the implementation of the AOSTI programmes and related follow-up activities;
- Direct and provide leadership for the:
- Development of guidelines and procedures for the organisation and conduct of national and regional STI surveys
- Organisation of regional workshops on Sciences, Technology and Innovation (STI) indicators and surveys
- Review of STI national surveys and the preparation of regional comparative analysis thereof
- Preparation of relevant STI manuals, training materials and background studies
- Network of STI indicators designated competent national authorities
- Prepare and submit to AUC-HRST comprehensive annually work plans and progress, financial reports and budgets;
- Mobilize from governments, foundations, the private sector, and other donors the financial and human resources needed to execute the programs and their constituent activities;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A University Master’s Degree in Science, Technology and Innovation studies (such as Economics of Innovation, technology / Innovation Management, Science and Technology Policy Studies, Mathematics, Statistics or Physics), a PhD is an added advantage, with fourteen (14) years of experience in in the relevant fields (innovation for development, science and technology) out of which seven (7) years in managing a research institution and conducting researches and studies related to Science, Technology and Innovation and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Experience in evidence-based policy development, public engagement, project management or related fields;
- Experience in assessing, monitoring, and evaluating development programmes, related to Science, Technology and Innovation.
- Experience working at the AU, UN or similar regional or international organizations will be and add advantage.
- Sound organisational planning and management skills
- Strong research and conceptualisation skills
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate diplomatically, establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Creativity and drive to innovate.
- Well-developed ICT skills including word processing, spread sheets, data analysis, visualization tools, big data ecosystems and other important computer applications;
- Ability to effectively represent the AOSTI and to negotiate for potential partnerships or collaboration.
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Focus
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 61,023.00 (P6 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 48% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
2nd May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online