Save the Children Nigeria recruitment & employment portal 2022 is now open interested candidates. This Save the Children Nigeria job vacancy is open to all qualified candidates.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease. Join Save the Children Nigeria careers team today, and be part of our success story.
Job Title: Education Programme Coordinator
Job ID: 2200023U
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 7months (renewable)
Post Type: National
Reports to: State Team Lead Kaduna
Staff directly reporting to this post: MEAL Officer.
Budget Responsibilities: Yes
Team: Education Team – Latter-day Saints (LDS) Charity Education Response Project
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis.
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Role Purpose and Description
- The Latter-Day Saints (LDS) Charity project is a 12-month project that aims to increase access to learning for 2,400 vulnerable girls and boys, including children with disabilities in 20 schools in Kaduna State.
- The project also intends to control the transmission of COVID-19 in the schools and communities through distribution of hygiene kits to the families of the most vulnerable girls and boys, promotion of awareness on Covid-19 and disinfection activities in schools to ensure hygienic environment for learning.
- The Education Programme coordinator provides both operational and technical assistance on all aspects relating to the education interventions for the LDS Charity project.
- The job holder will provide coordination and management of education component including; planning, implementation, capacity enhancement, monitoring/ evaluation and reporting both internally (within SCI) and externally (for/with partners). The job holder may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
- Under the guidance of the State Team Lead, the Education Programme Coordinator and Head of Education will ensure that the LDS Charity project is implemented in a coordinated manner and in line with donor requirements and commitments. The Education Programme Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring submission of timely and regular progress narrative and financial reports.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
Projects Coordination & Management:
- Oversee the coordination and implementation of the LDS Charity project in Kaduna State in line with the design of the project and donor requirements.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen linkages in the design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting.
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with stakeholders.
- Plan and coordinate State and LGAs level engagement with key stakeholders.
- Monitor and ensure timely and quality reports are submitted as per the reporting requirements.
- Working closely with Head of Education to ensure quality program design, delivery, documentation and reporting of education activities in the respective State.
Operational Planning and implementation:
- The Education Programme Coordinator will ensure design, planning, monitor project implementation plan, distribution process and procurement plan.
- Overseeing and provide technical solutions to speed up the implementation and budget performance in line with the project plan and budget.
- Effectively support the MEAL Officer to ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being achieved in line with the funding proposal.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme design and expedite implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of project duration and meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates to the Head of Education on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
- Ensure the timely reviews and adjustments for the project operational and implementation plan and budget as may be required from time to time.
Finance and Budget Management:
- Overseeing the budget performance to ensure that project implementation is on course as per the detailed implementation and procurement plan.
- Conduct project monitoring, suggest necessary revisions and prepare draft reports for corrective actions.
Program/Project Narrative and Financial Reporting:
- Preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of project narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- Review all programme Narrative and financial reports ensuring that donor guidelines have been followed and high standard met. The project deadlines met in reporting and keep a track record of reporting (Narrative and Financial).
- Organize and facilitate monthly follow-ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
Internal and External Engagements:
- Ensuring that the LDS Charity project is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively support MEAL Officer in MEAL aspects, which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed up.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Education Team.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the State Team Lead Kaduna, Education Coordinator and Head of Education, Abuja to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
- In liaison with State Team Lead Kaduna, Education Coordinator and Head of Education, Abuja to provide guidance and support to projects team and stakeholders.
- Minimum of a Masters’ Degree in Education.
- Experience in managing integrated programmes across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights, governance or Teaching at The Right Level (TaRL) is a must.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 5 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 2 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning skills, be able to set priorities, prepare manageable plans and to evaluate progress.
- Experience of working with Out of School Children (OOSC) with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in the Northwest Nigeria is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are compulsory.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal) and Local language skills (Hausa etc.).
Also see: TradeDepot Job Recruitment (5 Positions)
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
23rd March, 2022.